With a slight detour to CFS Alert!

30 November 2011 to 30 May 2012

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Heart Rate Training

New training schedule that I received from the coach incorporates heart rate training for my runs and bike. HR training is a new world for me, as I have never attempted it before.

I never knew that I could run that slow!

This is the first week and to keep my heart rate under 150 bpm, I have to run so slow - I know that it will get better as I progress, but it is kind of painful not to hit that speed up button on the tread mill.

On the bike isn't as bad, I am on the trainer already since we have had snow and crummy weather. I can keep a decent spin (90 to 100 rpm) in an easy gear, along with keeping my heart rate in check.

I am really looking forward to seeing the benefits over the course of the winter and in to next racing season - if my sanity survives that long!

5 comments:

Mark said...

HR training can be a very effective training tool. Good luck!

Bryan said...

Keep up with the HR training. I don't exceed 140 bpm for most of my training, except speedwork. It took about 4 months until it started to work. As long as you don't have an ego or can keep it in check. And you don't mind 80 year old people passing you on a run, and you keep up with it, it will pay off for Calgary.

Who's your coach?

B

eme said...

My coach is Caine Gilholm, an Aussie who moved to Winnipeg (poor guy, but great coach).

Yup, I could pretty much walk faster that some of my runs right now, but I am being patient.

eme said...

Oh, and I meant 'poor guy' for having to put up with Winnipeg winters!

Bryan said...

Don't worry about it. I was born and moved from Winnipeg 5 years ago. I have 4 generations of family there. All my family still lives there.

He's nuts, the winters are bad, the summers are mosquitos, it is the car jacking and murder capital of Canada.

Poor him. Is he in the "witness protection" program?