With a slight detour to CFS Alert!

30 November 2011 to 30 May 2012

Sunday, June 10, 2007

First Triathlon ever, done!

This morning did not start off well - I managed to set the alarm clock for 5:15 PM by accident last night. Good thing for dogs - I woke up at 6:15, thinking that it was really light out. Jumped out of bed in a panic (Race Day registration closed at 7:15 and I had to drive ~45 km) - good thing that I had set out everything last night.

Since I woke up so late, I wasn't able to wait for DH and son to get up and ready - so no race pics .

I got to the race with time to spare and got registered, body marked (the body marker gave me a compliment on my RM Black Betty). After that, I set up my gear in transition and went to watch the Olympic and Sprint Tri swims (Try a Tri was last). While the Sprint folks were finishing up their swim, I decided it was time to wrestle myself in to my wetsuit - luckily I am starting to get the hang of this, it was much easier and better adjusted this time.

For the swim (300m) - was I ever glad that I brought a wetsuit. The water was COLD, I think that they said it was 17.4°C. I was pretty nervous prior to getting in the water - this was my first open water swim (didn't have a chance to get out earlier). Because the water was so cold, I decided against putting my face in the water when I swam (I didn't want to lose my breath) - so I kind of did freestyle minus putting my face in the water. For next time, I have decided that I need new goggles (mine fogged) and I need to look at getting contacts again - swimming somewhat blind sucks!

T1 went pretty well, no major wetsuit issues, got some Gatorade on board, socks, shoes, helmet, gloves and off I went on Baguette(thanks again Natalie).

The bike went well, an out and back 12 km course - kind of different doing and out and back, but it made sense because the race needed less volunteers that way. The ride was over before I knew it and I passed some people along the way!

T2 went pretty smoothly, I didn't have to change shoes since I was using toe cages and just had to rack the bike, ditch the helmet and gloves.

The run was a little tougher, I was starting to get a bit tired and it was getting hotter out. It was a 2.5 km out and back with and aid station at the middle. I took some water at the aid station and had a walk break while I had a drink.

I finished the race according to my goal - upright and smiling and my whisper goal of not being DFL! My time was 1:01:08 and I was 6/8 for female Try a Tri. Here are my official stats:

(6) eme Total 01:01:08 Swim 00:10:18 (8 ) Bike 00:34:54 (4) Swim+Bike 00:45:12 (7) Run 00:15:55 (5) I know that I seriously need to work on my swim (especially open water), but I think that I am hooked :) .

eme

No comments: