With a slight detour to CFS Alert!

30 November 2011 to 30 May 2012

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Another one done - one more to go!

What is it with me and getting to triathlons just barely in time? No sleeping in this time – I was just directionally challenged on my way to the race. I forgot which highway out of the city I was supposed to be on (I went out Pembina, Hwy 75 instead of Lagimodiere, Hwy 59). Luckily, I realized what I had done in pretty short order). Needless to say, a few speed limits were bent getting to the race once I realized my mistake. I got to race check-in just in time and managed to get all my stuff put in to the transition area, but they started the race briefing early and I missed most of it (got the info from some other racers that I know from the RR). Found out that wetsuits were not allowed (water was 22.5°C) . After this, I found Karen (KBO) and Lisa (NewFinnLoper) – yippee, Maniacs to cheer for me! Got a few pictures prior to the swim start.

Got in to the water and thankfully, it wasn’t too cold feeling. The swim was much longer than I have done in open water, but I was happy that I did not panic. My goggles leaked in the first couple of strokes, so I had to keep my face out of the water most of the swim – or I would have big time issues seeing anything at all. There had been some movement of the buoys and it turns out the swim course was short – 665m instead of then normal 750m, but who am I to complain ? I was never so happy to see dry land before! Swim time 22:35 – dead last but I don’t care! Ian (clocker) arrived just after I started the swim and got some shots of me leaving the water.

Some more pictures coming out of the water and I was off to T1. I took a little longer in T1, as I wanted to make sure that I got a gel down and some fluid in me – the temperature was starting to warm up and I wanted to avoid any problems. The bike went well and I managed to pass a decent number of people (even people on road bikes!). Bike time 51:18.

Manage to be much quicker in T2 than I was in T1 and off I went on what felt like the longest 5 km run of my life – I thought that the turn around point would never appear. Actually, it was a very nice run course – a mix of asphalt and gravel, with lots of shade. I was getting pretty tired at this point (I should have taken a gel on the bike) and I took a few walk breaks but I managed to finish the run in 33:23.

Total time: 1:47:17 16th out of 18 in my age group. Not dead last, so I figure it was a good day! Ian kept my company during the prize draws and we had a great chat – he still had the camera out!

Thanks again to my Maniac cheering squad - you absolutely made my day! Next up – Morden Appleman – 950m swim, 30 km bike and 10.5 km run (and from what I have been told, wetsuits should be allowed – fingers crossed!)

eme

No comments: